Junker and Chunker

Friday, September 15, 2006

A Rubber Chicken and A Feather Duster: Keeping Guitar Lessons Interesting


I got to spend some real quality time with Mr. Vaughn this week as my 30 minute lesson stretched into an hour and 15 minutes. As I have previously taken lessons at his Fairmont State location, it was my first time in his home studio. After getting out my guitar, I settled in for a brief “lecture” as Mr. Vaughn gave me “A word to the wise…” on the technical challenge of the guitar as compared to the trombone. In the middle he busts out with, “I just noticed some dust over there. I have to get the feather duster”. He then proceeded to dust the top of the stereo while continuing to speak the wise words.

Looking around Mr. Vaughn’s studio, my eyes rested on a rubber chicken hanging amidst many connecting chords. He explained. “One of my peculiar friends got it for me for a birthday present and I have no idea what to do with it.”

I then made the grievious error of asking him to plug my guitar into his amplifier as I have never heard what it sounds like. It was quite an ordeal but it did sound very good once the task was complete, especially when he played it.

This week I am to work on finger dexterity exercises that are so challenging (to me) they make me feel like passing out and a Caribbean song, Jamaica Farewell. Bring on the Calypso!

With little time left to get to our softball game, I got behind another wreck on 50 (this seems to be a serious plague in my life). Luckily, traffic finally moved and I made it just in time. We had several no shows and so many random people on our team, I can hardly begin to name them, causing more than a little frustration for Allison. After getting several girls from Archies we finally had enough to field a team but were again trounced by Jackies/Good Times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home