Junker and Chunker

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Alcohol Is Number One!!! Deterring Kids From Drinking One Pamphlet At A Time


I was fortunate to locate this treasure of literature passed out in Harrison County Schools. Upon first glance, it might appear that this pamphlet is actually promoting alchohol usage as in large letters it proclaims, "Alcohol is Number One". I also love the bottle with the large number one on it to reinforce this concept. However, the adverse effects of alcohol are delineated with the very small message: "killer of teens". Although I am no expert in pamphlets to deter kids from alcohol usage, I am thinking some alterations might increase this particular pamphlets effectiveness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think that the purpose of drawing kids in with the initial surprise that a school would put out a pamphlet exhorting the use of alcohol will hopefully bring kids in and then SHOCK'EM! with the brutal fact that alcohol is a #1 killer...unfortunately, the DARE officer's name, Tommy Thomas, seems to somehow detract from the credibility of this tract. It makes me think there should be a little kid tank engine across the bottom...

7:22 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I have had the fortune of attending several of Tommy Thomas' inservices. Upon hearing him talk for lengthy periods of time, more detracts from his credibility than his name. Although extremely nice, I don't think he could have possibly had the idea to draw kids in and shock'em with brutal facts. Though now that you point that out, I can more appreciate the serendipitous nature of the tract.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home